How to Apply for Canada sponsorship - Jahzblog

How to Apply for Canada sponsorship

After you apply for sponsorship

Read below to know more about How to Apply for Canada sponsorship

If you can’t apply online, and require accommodations, including for a disability, you can ask for the application in another format (paper, braille or large print).

To apply to sponsor your spouse, partner or child, there are 2 applications:

You must apply to become a sponsor.
Your spouse, partner or child must apply for permanent residence.
If you want to sponsor your adopted child or an orphaned family member, follow the instructions to sponsor your adopted child instead. If you live in Quebec, find out the steps to take to sponsor your spouse, partner or child in Quebec. There are 4 steps to sponsor your spouse, partner or child

1. Apply to sponsor

The sponsor must know how to Apply for Canada sponsorship,
download and complete the PDF forms in the application package
digitally sign, along with the person you’re sponsoring (principal applicant)
The person you’re sponsoring (principal applicant) will
upload them to their online application
electronically sign for the entire application, including those of any other family members
Get the application package
The application package includes the:

document checklist for you and the persons you want to sponsor
forms you and the persons you want to sponsor need to fill out
instruction guide to help you and your family members fill out the forms correctly
Read the guide carefully before you complete the application form. The sponsorship application fee for processing your application can’t be refunded.

2. Apply to be sponsored (permanent residence)

Sign in or create a Permanent residence online application portal account.

You must fill out these digital forms online

Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008)
Schedule A – Background/Declaration (IMM 5669)
Additional Family Information (IMM 5406)
Supplementary Information – Your travels (IMM 5562)
Photo specifications
You need one photo for each person on your application.

Follow the instructions in the online application to scan and upload both sides of your photo.

Technical issues
If you’re having technical issues applying, contact us using the web form

under type of application/enquiry, choose technical difficulties from the drop-down menu
in the text box, specify the program you’re applying under
upload screenshots from your account that show us
the page where you’re having problems
the error message(s) you get
If you need to upload a number of images, find out how to combine them into 1 document.

Working in Canada

If you already have a work permit, you can keep working as long as the permit is valid. If you’re living in Canada with the person sponsoring you, you can also apply for an open work permit when you apply for permanent residence. Find out more about how to apply for an open work permit online

Using an immigration representative

If you’re a representative, find out how you can create an account and submit applications on behalf of your clients.

If you want to appoint someone to do business with us on your behalf, you must

download a Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 1.48 MB) or Authority to release personal information to a designated individual form [IMM 5475] (PDF, 2.2 MB) – which ever applies
complete it
sign it digitally or by hand and get your immigration representative to do so also
upload it with your application
An immigration representative (an immigration consultant or lawyer) can give you advice and help you with your application for a fee. But they can’t

open a portal account on your behalf on how to apply for Canada sponsorship
electronically sign the application for you
sign into the portal using your username and password
A representative can fill out forms and communicate with us on your behalf through their own account. They can also help you prepare the documents you need to upload
answer questions about the forms
After you read the declaration, you must be the one who types your name. This is the legal requirement for your application to be considered “signed,” according to Canada’s immigration law.

3. Pay your application fees

In most cases, your fees will include:

processing fees for you, the persons you’re sponsoring and their dependants
the right of permanent residence fee
the biometrics fee
You have to pay your fees online (opens in a new tab).

Biometrics fee
In most cases, you must pay a biometrics (fingerprints and photo) fee when you submit your application. Otherwise you may experience delays. The biometrics fee covers the cost of collecting fingerprints and a digital photo.

Third-party fees
Depending on your situation, you may need to pay third parties for:

your medical exam
a police certificate
The instruction guide can help you understand which fees apply to you.

4. Send us additional information during processing

During processing, we’ll ask the person you’re sponsoring to submit their:

medical exams
police certificates
You need to include police certificates when you apply.
You need them for the person being sponsored and each family member 18 or older (who isn’t already a Canadian citizen or permanent resident).
Police certificates are generally valid for 1 year from the date they’re issued.
Depending on processing times, we may ask you for new certificates.
When the biometrics fee is paid, we’ll send your family members a letter asking them to give their biometrics.
Your family members must show this letter when they give their biometrics.
They have 30 days to give their biometrics in person at their closest collection point.

Temporary changes to biometrics

Book your biometric appointment as soon as you can to avoid processing delays.

If you can’t book an appointment by the deadline on your biometric instruction letter, there may be measures in place to help you on How to Apply for Canada sponsorship .

Measures for Ukrainian nationals and their family members
Measures for other applicants affected by the situation in Europe
COVID-19 measures
We’ll send instructions and let your family members how much time they have to send us this information.

You must tell us of any change in circumstances, such as:

birth or adoption of children
marriage or divorce or separation
death of an applicant or a defendant

5. Submit your online application

Before you submit your application, make sure you:

  • answer all questions
  • electronically sign your application (type your full name exactly as shown on your passport)
  • include your processing fee receipt
  • upload all the supporting documents

If your application is incomplete, we’ll reject it. You’ll have to fix any errors and then re-submit it.

Get updates about your application online

If you and the person you are sponsoring meet the eligibility requirements, we will mail or email you a request to link your application to an online account.

Find out how to link your application to your account after you create an account or sign in.

Having trouble? See the top questions about linking your application in the Help Centre.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *